Question:
How to become a two stroke tuner?
2013-02-01 23:17:18 UTC
Well I'm interested in developing motorcycle engines (it's my career goal) but that too must be a specific type of motorcycle engine i.e., a two stroke engine. And I don't want work in the R&D section of a company I want to be a tuner. I'm just not interested in the four strokes, they are heavier, much more complicated and less powerful than the two strokes. What qualifications do I need? Just a mechanic training or an engineering degree? Would it be a good career path taking into consideration the fact that two strokes are vanishing rapidly from the world? I have already gained some theoretical knowledge about two strokes as I have completed reading Jennings, Robinson and Bell and I am currently reading Blair. Well, I think you can guess the minor details of my career goals by knowing the fact that my role model is Stan Stephens......
Three answers:
?
2013-02-01 23:47:21 UTC
Good to see a friend and his love for Two Strokes well as you stated that 2 strokes are disappearing from the planet is because the emission norms being stringent and conventional 2 strokes like rx 100 etc can't match to the emission norms of today's. But if we consider in bringing those 2 stroke glory back we must find a way match up to today's 4 strokes. Many manufacturers still produce ( Kawasaki Aprilia etc) still produce Fuel Injected 2 stroke which match up today's emission norms so if you can do the same I guess it would be worth. and I believe a mechanic training would be fine do let me know what you think hope that helps Cheers :)
KennyW
2013-02-03 04:22:42 UTC
I'm not sure of what kind of motorcycle engine you want to build street or dirt? Here's what I can tell you about dirt bike engines. First I can't believe nobody corrected you when you said that 4t is less powerful then 2t. You sir are wrong. Your also wrong about the complexity of a 4t engine vs. a 2t engine. 4t's only difference is that it has valves,cams and a timing chain which a 2t doesn't have instead a 2t has reed valves and power valves. after working on either one of them once or twice it's all pretty simple. Why would you call something that is "vanishing rapidly from the world" a good career change? Think about it. two strokes are so simple to work on any backyard mechanic can work on them and if they are rapidly vanishing what are you going to do when they're gone? All the money,time, and education for what? Something you can't even use it on anymore.If you want a "good" career you have to think about things that will never go away. Things most people can't live without. Food, shelter, and transportation. Those are things people will ALWAYS have a demand for. Be a farmer, realtor, or car sales man if you want a "good" career choice. 2t is dying for a reason and I hate to say it,but I don't think one person can resurrect them. Unless you are the Messiah I'd pick a different career. If you still insist then to get to the level you want to be at get ready to spend a ton of money and time to take an endless list of mechanical engineering courses and everything to its liking. Not trying to be rude, just calling it like I see it. No offense.

@ asker Yes sir you are correct 2t did dominate in the 70s,80s,and 90s. Guess what my friend? Times have changed and those days are gone. Don't get me wrong, I love 2 strokes as much as the next guy. There is no sweeter smell then that of race gas and premix, but as for these days, they are not a match for the 4t powerhouses they build now. Maybe to days technology hasn't made it to your 3rd world community for you to see for yourself, but if you just hang in there a little longer you'll find out first hand about a 4t.That is if your not too busy worshiping
Philip P
2013-02-02 10:44:09 UTC
The way forward with 2 strokes is sealed crank cases contained lubricant and adiabatic controll systems for energy recovery

this type of engine is increasingly competing with the gas turbine both in small industrial uses and military uses.

An adiabatic 2 sroke IC engine can burn almost any combustible fuel from gasious hydrogen to heavy oily hydrocarbons, both mineral organic and those that can be ethically produced.

you will need to dig deep on the internet to find much in the way of research