Question:
does the wind play a factor in riding a motorcycle, or not...if so, how much?
biker_babe
2006-04-04 15:16:59 UTC
does the wind play a factor in riding a motorcycle, or not...if so, how much?
Twelve answers:
jodywysteria
2006-04-04 15:41:31 UTC
Good answer Calvin. I'll add from experience that going under bridges during times of high crosswinds can be somewhat annoying as well. While riding in a crosswind you lean into it and going under a bridge momentarily blocks it. This can cause an inadvertant lane change if you are not expecting it.
2016-03-27 06:12:24 UTC
Basically you just have to learn to get used to it. I hate strong sidewinds too, so don't feel bad about that. The main thing is to learn to look ahead for things that may block the wind or funnel it into a smaller area, increasing the velocity. Passing a semi is a good example of the first and a railroad underpass is a good one of the second. With the former you have to to be ready to straighten the bike up when the truck blocks the wind and then ready to lean again when you get back into the wind. My touring bike has as much side area as the average highway billboard and once in a very strong thunderstorm it was blowing me from the middle of the highway clear over to the white line. Not fun at all! Leaning forward helped me to keep the bike under a little better control but don't know if that will help you or not.
2006-04-04 15:19:42 UTC
it plays a big factor the wind can be very cold in the spring if it is 60 degrees or less and also the wind resistance on your body wears you out if you ride long distances. all depends on the bike you have though because some bigger bikes block much of the wind. there are all types of bikes all are different
Calvin the Bold
2006-04-04 15:22:17 UTC
This is true if you are on the Highway. As you approach high enough speed the vehicle around you plays an increasing role in redirecting draft around you. Since on a bike you only have 2 points of contact on the road the sudden change in air flow can have a huge effect. So if it is real windy it is a good idea to slow down and be safe.
2006-04-04 16:08:10 UTC
Good answers Calvin & Jody. I'll throw my two cents worth in, My most enjoyable rides have always been on windless days. The windier it is, the more work it is, & therefore defeats the purpose of being out on two whells: Fun!
2006-04-04 15:20:16 UTC
yes sure, High speed wind, 100 percent factor,

very low speed wind, 5 percent factor.
caseman316
2006-04-04 15:19:18 UTC
depending on the force of the wind yes if had a strong enough gust push into the other lane before
2006-04-04 15:20:16 UTC
If it's very strong you will probably have to adjust like you would a car on a windy day.
grandpa40
2006-04-04 15:19:50 UTC
yes dont ride in a tornado or a huracane .thats just a suggestion
quitcallingmedamnit
2006-04-04 15:19:49 UTC
if it blows you over then it plays a big factor... Ouch
2006-04-04 15:19:17 UTC
yes dont eat beans
old biker dude
2006-04-04 16:32:36 UTC