Question:
what is more dangerous - riding a motorcycle or skydiving?
blaze l
2008-02-15 05:57:10 UTC
what is more dangerous - riding a motorcycle or skydiving?
Nineteen answers:
2008-02-15 07:55:18 UTC
Skydiving is more dangerous,in terms of fatalities.

US Parachute Assoc. reports;

about 12 Deaths per Million Jumps for year 2005.

*That's only Sport Jumpers,,No MIL,Rescue,Emergency Svs,or Pro Exihibition.

NHTSA reports ;

about 35 Deaths per 100 Million Miles for year 2003.

*That's only On-Road motorcycles,,,No Dirtbikes or Competition,or Offroad accidents.

The Stats on Skydiving are difficult because there's no central database which collects/compiles All reports.

At best it's considered "representative",,,not anything Actual or Accurate.

Very tough to make a head-to-head comparison between motorcycling and parachuting.

Even so,,,by any measure Skydiving is overwhelmingly more dangerous in terms of fatalities
bikinkawboy
2008-02-15 06:21:22 UTC
Ok, I'm sure the odds are greater of being in a motorcycle accident than skydiving just because of frequency. However, by far the vast majority of bikers involved in an accident walk, or at least limp away. Have an equipment malfuntion or run into someone else skydiving and you're nearly always dead.

The frequency of something happening has nothing to do with the danger involved. Accidents happening isn't nearly as critical as the final results of an accident.

For example, I know thousands of people stub their toe every day while airliner accidents occur only a few times a year. However, the chances of you dying from a stubbed toe is highly unlikely while your chances of living through an airliner accident are very, very slim.
?
2016-03-13 05:24:30 UTC
Should you ride...yes, definitely. Should you be worried about accidents...yes, definitely. But don't let it stop you from riding. You can mitigate the risk by wearing all the gear, all the time; knowing your bike; knowing your own limits; being aware of traffic and road conditions; keeping your bike in good shape; obeying traffic laws; and gaining experience. There are many advantages to riding a motorcycle. But motorcycle riding is not for fools. I'm not into hang gliding, but I am into kite flying. I'll stay on the ground, thank you very much.
2008-02-15 23:47:47 UTC
Make a mistake on a motorcycle and you can usually walk, or at least limp away.

Make a mistake while skydiving and it's all over, you're dead.
BillyTheKid
2008-02-15 06:06:08 UTC
Skydiving ON a motorcycle!
dreynolds699
2008-02-15 09:38:50 UTC
motorcycles are and that's if you include all aircraft accidents as well as skydiving ,I've done skydiving and motorcycling is worst and far more dangerous dealing with traffic is a nightmare at times the cars don't see you I've been cut off numerous times by cars, trucks and even tow trucks. dropping out of the sky there is only 2 real dangers will the main canopy open on the parachute and if not will I have time to pull the emergency cord before you hit the ground
2008-02-15 05:59:22 UTC
Motorcycle. Law of averages. Most people with bikes are riding them, not many people go skydiving several times a week.
Leo
2016-06-20 15:56:51 UTC
I feel like both activities can be as safe as you make them to be, but still carry the risk that is completely out of your control. A dear running into me while doing 40+ mph on a bike is out of my control. A skydiving plane crashing on takeoff or another skydiver flying into me is out of my control as well.
2008-02-15 06:04:40 UTC
Ironically, probably skydiving (edit - i mean it is less dangerous--ooops)

You are a lot less likely to get crushed by a semi-tractor trailer while skydiving.
2008-02-15 07:32:28 UTC
Motorcycle riding. Last year in the U.S ALONE was more than 4800. Whereas Skydiving deaths in the WORLD were only 60.
Firecracker .
2008-02-15 16:53:25 UTC
Sky diving.

On a motorcycle, there is a real good possibility of me walking away if I make a mistake.

Jumping out of a plane.......SPLAT.
2008-02-16 18:02:20 UTC
the safety discussion...

home

There is an enormous amount of discussion over skydiving statistics. In the months prior to making our first tandem, we poured over all the facts and figures we could find. We found that a lot of people are compelled to compare the sport to other sports (like scuba diving) or dangerous activities (like driving). But, comparisons like these don't really hold water because there are so many factors involved. I believe if a skydiver sets limits and sticks to them, the risks are substantially reduced. You can make many activities dangerous (even cooking, as I can personally attest to), and skydiving is no exception. But, you can also exercise extreme caution consistently and reduce the risk associated with skydiving to an acceptable level.

Here are some fatality statistics:

Approximate number of jumps in the U.S. in 2000 = 3,500,000 (source, USPA)

Number of U.S. fatalities in 2000 = 30 (source, USPA)

Ratio of U.S. fatalities / per jumps in 2000 = 1 : 116,667

Average number of annual U.S. fatalities due to malfunctioning gear = 12 (source, www.skydivenet.com)

Average ratio of U.S. fatalities caused by malfunctioning gear / per jumps = 1 : 291,667

Here is an excerpt from Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook. By Dan Poynter and Mike Turoff, Para Publishing, Santa Barbara, California.

Taken from Dan Poynter's Parachuting: A Skydiver's Handbook 6th edition.

1991

121,900 people made 2,440,000 civilian jumps in the US.

25,000 active skydivers average approx. 100 to 125 jumps/year.

Approx. 97,000 students graduate the First Jump Course and make a jump each year.

Approx. 300,000 student jumps/year, 1.9 million experienced skydiver jumps/year.

1987

29 fatal parachuting accidents in the US.

Yielding a fatality rate of 1/75,000 jumps, or 1/3,800 participants.

Comparisons

Hang Gliding: 1/2,308 hang gliding flights.

Accidental Deaths: 1/2,582 (91,000 out of total US pop. of 235 million in 1983)

In a recent year over 140 people died scuba diving, 856 bicycling, over 7,000 drowned, 1154 died of bee stings, and 80 by lightning. In 1982, 43,990 people were killed in highway accidents, 1,171 boating fatalities, 235 airline deaths, and 1,164 light aircraft general aviation fatalities.

Student injuries run about 2%. So out of 90,000 students, 1,800 can expect to be injured.

Here's another interesting excerpt from a site I found on the Internet (http://www.highwitness.com/pages/skydiving/whuffo.html):

"C'mon! You can't say it's not dangerous"

Skydiving is clearly a dangerous sport. I think that is why it is so safe. Oxymoronic? Maybe not. Let me explain.

If one goes out to go skiing, one generally does not think about the danger. If you get going too fast and lose control, of course, you could get seriously injured or killed. But that won't happen to me.

Scuba diving is filled with danger, but it can be managed. If my regulator just stops working, I can always drop everything and blow bubbles all the way to the surface (unless I need to decompress). And what are the odds of a hungry shark passing by? I'll just hide on the bottom.

Surfing is thrilling and the water is soft, right? I won't get hit by a board or dragged under or anything.

All of these sports are dangerous. The risk is manageable, for most people, and the joy is worth it. But in all of these sports, the risk is not nearly so in-your-face apparent and the consequences of a screw-up are not so final in their effect.

Skydiving has this way of reminding you, with every jump, that if you screw up, you WILL DIE! This has a remarkably focusing effect and as a result, Skydiving is statistically safer than those other sports. In other words, the danger is more obvious so skydivers are more careful. Interestingly enough, many of the accidents we've seen lately have been by experienced jumpers flying high performance canopies. The accidents occur AFTER the parachute is deployed when the obvious danger has passed. These jumpers feel safer under canopy, so they take more chances.

I had a scuba diver tell me he would never try something so dangerous as skydiving. "On a bad day, I can always surface. Skydiving is so final." He left out all the really neat bad day problems. He never mentioned the bends, embolism, lipoid pneumonia, sharks, poisonous sea creatures, pollution, careless drivers in motor boats or the occasional giant rouge man-eating squid. (it could happen) By not thinking about those things, he increases the chances that it could surprise him.

The moral is, know your limits and stay alert. Modern sport parachuting equipment is very safe and reliable when used as directed. Just to make sure, we always carry a backup. Safety is a major concern. Never forget that and you'll be OK.

Life is a managed-risk affair. Isolating yourself from everything that could hurt you would be quite boring. You could hide under the bed all day or weigh the risks and take a chance. It might just be fun.

Think about it another way: If you can face your worst fear and jump, just maybe you can accomplish anything. It's not what's in front of you that blocks your way, it's what's inside you that holds you back. Carpe diem!

Here's even more interesting statistics. But, to be honest, I'm through researching. Statistics can be twisted to make any point you want to make. As for me, I'm going for it!

For a comparison to other sports, check the table printed on page 13 of the April 1990 issue of Parachutist. Here is a comparison of the risks of participating in various activities. It was put together by the U.S. Hang Gliding Association using data collected from various air sports organizations and melding it with data from the National Safety Council and other sources.

Activity Participants Fatalities Rate per 100,000

per year participants

All accidents 230,000,000 96,000 42

Traffic Fatalities 162,850,000 46,000 28

Power Boat Racing 7,000 5 71

SCUBA 300,000 140 47

Mountaineering 60,000 30 50

Boxing 6,000 3 50

AIR VEHICLES:

Air Shows 1,000 5 500

Homebuilt 8,000 25 312

General Aviation 550,000 800 145

Sailplane 20,000 9 45

Balloon 4,500 3 67

Hang Gliding 25,000 10 40

SKYDIVING 110,000 28 25

It says the skydiving stats are for 1988, and it implies that the other figures are for 1989.

Visit The Perry Family Web Page
loonatic72
2008-02-15 06:06:04 UTC
Probably motorcycles cause the crashes on bikes usually have nothing to do with the driver its everyone else aroudn them
2008-02-18 07:57:05 UTC
Yeah, and you can't pick up chicks on a parachute.
?
2008-02-15 06:29:33 UTC
Neither of these sports is statistically as safe as sleeping in your own bed, but just remember... Most people die in bed.
2008-02-15 20:06:11 UTC
it's got to be the one you have more

control over.
2008-02-15 12:28:18 UTC
Probably the bike riding. More paople in the US die while fishing than any other sport.
grace
2008-02-15 09:25:12 UTC
http://www.supremesite.com/skydive/skydiving_statistics.htm

read the facts!
jesse w
2008-02-15 10:22:46 UTC
what's more dangerous?

your mom on your a.s.s. from skiping school...