Question:
how can you tell if someone is a motorcycle newbie?
iamfaster
2009-04-07 09:40:50 UTC
I'm not asking if I'M a newbie, because I don't have my first bike yet. What I'm asking is what are the signs of an experience rider vs new rider? For example, chicken strips on the tires. What else is there?
Twelve answers:
Joe B
2009-04-07 09:56:03 UTC
They ask a lot of questions on this site...
dingram1
2009-04-07 15:03:21 UTC
Newbie=

Someone that asks questions and pays attention to

the answers. Then they try to apply the answer to

their riding habits. They are extra careful (as

mentioned) because they know the road is going

to hurt when it scrapes the skin off. (a no brainer)

They don't like cars too close to them and seem to

stop short of all traffic. They stop in the center of

the lane and never watch what is in the road ahead

of them or in a turn or corner.

Seasoned rider=

Someone that thinks they are immuned to a car stopping short and causing them to crash. Laughs at "newbies" for being too careful. Shows off to th crowd and eventually ends up busting their butt. They think they are the only ones that can ride (even in a crowd of experienced riders). But on the positive side, they can control a bike under MOST circumstances that a newbie would crash under.
Scooter
2009-04-07 11:35:08 UTC
C.C. is right on, about the two kinds of riders. The best way to tell, is how they control their bike. Do they ride stiff nervous, or loose at ease. Are they smooth, speeding up and slowing down. Hold their lane, or drift in a corner. Rev. the motor excessively during take off, or stall it. Hesitate at a stop light, ( that's fear of looking like an idiot, by stalling or over reeving the bike.) or taking off to quickly. Putting their feet down way to soon, before stopping. A newbies biggest fear is falling over. Heck at a stop sine, with no other traffic. I don't put my feet down at all. Don't need to, for the second or so I'm not moving.
2009-04-07 10:05:58 UTC
From being on the road not that long this might not be much help but yano.

You can see from riders' seating positions how comfortable they are on the bike or on the road..How they act on the bike, whether looking round alot or focusing on the road and other cars completely..Ive seen some people with L plates, at roundabouts they have their feet on the floor or just touching :S..You can also tell by their speed and when they begin slowing down etc...Hope this helps
C C
2009-04-07 09:56:57 UTC
Usually new riders tend to be more cautious at lights and stop signs. Also not putting your feet up on the pegs as soon as you get moving (newbies tend to drag or leave their feet down for a longer period of time). Taking alot longer to get up to speed or not doing the speed limit at all. Sometimes weaving back and forth in the lane they are travelling in (expierenced riders do it also if they are bored). Taking curves at a very slow pace sometimes swinging wide and accidentally cutting off the other riders I did this when I first started riding. I still hate curves since I wiped out on one. No real injuries just scared the crap out of myself and had the wind knocked out of me along with a bruise on my thigh. No broken bones luckily.

There are basically two types of riders The ones who have been down and the ones who are going down. There is nothing wrong with this it makes you a more cautious rider. If you are getting a bike and have never rode before you will want to take a motorcycle safety course to learn how to handle the bike. It will be in a controlled enviroment run by an expierenced instructor and they will teach you the basic things you should know. If when you get your bike you can find someone else who has been riding for awhile see if they will take you to an empty parking lot or open area to give you some pointers.

Just wondering why I got the thumbs down? It is a common saying among the groups that I ride with about the two types of riders. Even the most careful of the bunch has layed their bike down or had been run off the road by some inconsiderate idiot who was A on a cellphone or B wasn't paying attention to anything going on around them. My husband an I have ridden with two different hog chapters, The Combat Vets Association, numerous VFW functions and I myself also rode with the Patriot Guard. Hubby was deployed at the time but all of these groups have said the same thing about the two types of riders. You may think you will never be down but in all reality that is so not true. You can hit gravel on the road, an oil spot, or yeah the idiot on the cell phone. I have a couple of friends the most cautious riders in the world they got hit by a driver who wasn't paying attention and claimed they didn't see the bike. Kind of hard to miss a dresser with a ton of lights on it.
jesse w
2009-04-07 10:51:23 UTC
The one sign I see more often is when the newbie trys to take off like a jet and the bike stalls... My good friend did this for a few months...
?
2016-09-29 12:06:11 UTC
you could not take an off highway motorbike to do a motorbike try. they don't seem to be highway criminal and you'd be examined on acceptable use of turn alerts besides as your utilising skills. i might advise which you connect a protection coaching direction.here in PA they supply loose motorbike protection direction and supply motorcycles for the direction, they are 250's and maximum of them are Honda Shadows. those are sturdy coaching cycles and are not very costly. they commence out coaching you the holiday precheck by to averting adverse components on the line. We had 5 human beings in our class who've in no way pushed a motorbike, certainly one of which in no way even been on a motorbike until now. all of us handed the 4 day class and won their license. attempt a smaller motorbike and artwork your way up until you become greater matured. even even with the shown fact that, if this could be your first motorbike purchase used and pay money, get the adventure of driving until now moving as much as larger and greater costly motorcycles. I even have had acquaintances who offered super motorcycles like Goldwings and rode basically some situations then advertising them at a loss because of the fact they weren't waiting for an excellent motorbike. not something incorrect with commencing small and working as much as larger later on. actually the smaller motorbike will many times sell quicker once you're waiting to flow up, then use the money to your next motorbike.
Ming
2009-04-07 09:52:42 UTC
chicken strips on the bike could mean they use that bike as a commuter and are not leaning to rub off those chicken strips, not necessarily that they are new to riding.

you have to watch the way they ride. If they're really reckless while riding (making sudden jerks and movement) maybe they're new.

or if they get confused and almost drop the bike at each intersection.

if they take off, yet leave their legs hanging off instead of putting them on the pegs.

super slow take offs, then they speed up right away.

they go super fast, then slow way super down when making a turn.
Sheriff of Yahoo!
2009-04-07 11:30:34 UTC
You can tell by their brand new clothing, the funny way they park their bikes, the way they tailgate cars, the way they never look over their shoulders when merging into traffic, there are a lot of ways to spot the new guys. Nothing wrong with being a new guy as long as you are being careful and respectful of others and representing motorcyclists as good citizens.
?
2009-04-07 12:25:32 UTC
Can’t keep a bike straight at slow speed. Drag their feet when coming off a light.
Domgod
2009-04-07 09:49:48 UTC
Depending on how confertable they are a cornering is also a sign
jumpingrightin
2009-04-07 11:21:02 UTC
I know how you can spot the intelligent people, those are the ones driving cars.